Musings Of An Indie Kid

Me trying to introduce you guys to some of my music. I hope you enjoy it.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Scene kids smoke cigarettes

So it's official; Laura, Kendon, Claire, and Dennis are my four best friends, ever. Why, you ask? Because they're the only people who have left comments on my blog so far. Damnit people, I need comments. I put myself out here on the interweb looking for praise or criticism, not just apathy.

I got my first sign that this whole "mp3 blog" thing might be working about a week ago. Spasticated Records emailed me to let me know that one of their artists, Dsico That No-Talent Hack, had a new EP out, and invited me to listen to it. Anytime a band offers me a free album, it's worth listening to, because at least during that moment, they just want to be heard, and want recognition. That's what the music industry is missing. Sure, there are going to be plenty of artists who just want to get rich and famous, but too many artists these days don't have a passion for making music.

So, if you know a band I might not have heard of, or want to promote your own band, send me a message. I promise you I will at least listen to it. If I like it, I'll plug you guys here. Right now, that means absolutely nothing, but I hope someday I'll have enough readers that that might seem like a good incentive. I'm currently trying to win a contest to get my friend's band on Said the Gramophone, because that's a big deal to me.

Anyways, onto today's selections...

Dsico That No-Talent Hack - Swimmingly Rapidshare... Follow link

Ok, so I liked them enough to plug them. This song seems like the bastard child of The Bravery and LCD Soundsystem, which is tough to get used to. Add to that it sounds like the lead singer for the Hold Steady got bored and decided to do this as a side project... and this is real obscure shit. But never bad. Nothing original can ever be all bad. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I promise you, it will grow on you. I wish that at least in some songs the lead singer would... you know... sing, but you can't get your way all the time. And I've only listened to 5 songs of theirs, so I can't pretend to be experts on them. But buy their EP, Fool, and enjoy something new. You can pick it up directly from their website.

The Hold Steady - Charlemagne in Sweatpants Rapidshare... Follow link

This song is useless. I kid you not. That's not to say it's not good... it's fucking epic. But on its own it won't do you any good. Listening to The Hold Steady one track at a time is the worst idea in the world, because you absolutely won't get used to them fast enough. I assure you, they are well worth checking out. Look for more songs, buy their albums and spend a few weeks formulating an opinion on them. Take your time. This will be hard.

The Hold Steady - Your Little Hoodrat Friend

Here, check this out too. Oh, and thank Kendon for these, because he introduced me to them. He's a good man. He'll make a good father someday.