Musings Of An Indie Kid

Me trying to introduce you guys to some of my music. I hope you enjoy it.

Friday, January 20, 2006

It's got a samurai on the disc. No joke.

By the time I'd gotten Point Juncture, WA's new album, Mama Auto Boss, I'd already heard the whole thing. When they first told me they were planning to send a copy for me to review, I figured I should do some research on them so that I would at least seem like I knew what I was talking about when I wrote this. Then I saw that they had their entire album streamable, and I decided to check it out, just to get a feel for the type of music.

I didn't expect to listen to the whole thing in that first sitting. This album is stunning. You'll listen to it all, and you'll show it to all your friends.

That's not to say it's perfect, but it is definitely better than a "local band" (I use that phrase grudgingly) has any justification being. When searching for a musical comparison, I realized how difficult this was going to be; certain songs sound like the best of Broken Social Scene, while others may remind you of Sigur Ros. There will be a couple songs that remind you of Bjork, and then you'll have music that sounds like Bloc Party. So, when trying to come up with a genre to explain all of this to you, all I can come up with are "Experimental" and "Progressive," along with the obvious "Indie." But experimental and progressive aren't genres of music; they're excuses. If you don't expect someone to like a certain song or artist, you preface it with "They're very experimental, so it might seem a little weird."

I'll leave it up to their description of themselves.

"Counting among their influences bands like Yo La Tengo, Broken Social Scene, and Blonde Readhead, Point Juncture, WA build their "ethereal dreampop" on layers of dub-like beats, melodic/dissonant guitars and droning keyboards with vocal performances from three of the band's members and accents from a rollicking vibraphone and the occasional trumpet blast."

Yeah, that's the best I can do. But from the opening track, Duodecimo, you can tell there's something special here. It's an album that can be listened to start to finish without a need to skip tracks, but at the same time there's really nothing that truly stands out. That may not necessarially be a bad thing. They're not radio rock, and probably won't ever be, but I doubt that's what they're going for. Cardboard Box and Chlorine are probably their most "accessable" songs, but where's the fun in that?

If you have the money lying around and are in the mood to try something new, definitely give these guys a shot. They will impress the hell out of you. You may not love every song (there's too much going on for most people), but you'll probably end up loving the band.

Download These Tracks
03. Cardboard Box
04. Happy Ending
07. Cello